|Created in 1963 by the historian Fernand Braudel, the Foundation Maison des sciences de l’homme is a private foundation, under the aegis of the Ministry of Higher Education and Research (MESR), its main funder. It has a staff of 157 people and includes four sites: the “France” building (headquarters and the library), the “Maison Suger” (guest house for foreign scholars) the Charenton (storehouse for books and the publishing house) and a bookstore. It has a total surface of 7332 square meters. Its main mission is to:
- foster scientific cooperation, in the field of social sciences and humanities (SSH), between France the rest of the world through grant programs funded by the MESR or co-funded by EU or other foundations.
- manage the European fellowship program for the Institutes of Advanced Studies in Europe (EURIAS).
- provide assistance for EU project applications and manage EU projects
- give a main contribution to the making of policy in the field of SSH through the ATHENA Alliance, the association of presidents of the French universities and research institutions, whose main mission is to improve the dynamics of higher education and research systems, build a long-term and prospective reflection, facilitate the establishment of links between the various academic networks.
- foster the development of a research that is more responsive to civil society issues through the Collège d’Etudes Mondiales where outstanding scholars work on key issues of contemporary societies (education, global change, health, etc).
- act for the dissemination of knowledge via its publishing house, online bookstore, conferences, cultural debates, summer schools
- manage the “Audiovisual Research Archives”, a portal for free access to a multidisciplinary audiovisual collection devoted to research, education, development, and intercultural dialogue (www.archivesaudiovisuelles.fr).
- enhance the visibility of the national plateforms for the digitalization of SSH research such as Huma-Num (a network of digitalisation, standardisation, and access interface platforms) and Progedo (for data production and management for international investigations and access platform for public statistics).